Bookish and Belle banner (without tabs) Outfits Recipes Crafts Home Wedding

Monday, February 28, 2011

Best and Worst dressed at the 2011 Academy Awards

Everyone looked lovely last night. I saw much fewer misses than at the Globes, although I will list my three big disappointments at the end.

First, here are my favorites...

Marisa Tomei in Charles James

Hilary Swank in Gucci

Jennifer Hudson in Versace

The fitted gown made her amazing body look even more amazing.

Halle Berry in Marchesa

Natalie Portman in Rodarte (Appropriately, Nat gave Rodarte, the design house behind Black Swan's lovely costumes and a snub in the costume category, a nod by wearing their piece and thanking the sisters in her acceptance speech.)

The color was lovely and the shape flattered her baby bump and showed off her incredible pregnancy cleavage. Are you seeing those things? She must be up to a C cup!

Florence Welch in Valentino

The dress stood out from all the rest and, in my opinion, was a risk well worth taking.

Hailee Steinfeld in Marchesa (Marchesa was owning the carpet last night!)

Sandra Bullock in Vera Wang

I can't decide which part of Sandra's gown I love more, the front or the back.

Mila Kunis in Ellie Saab

This gown was my third favorite of the night. Mila definitely came dressed like a winner, not a snub.

Runner up for best look of the night:

Helen Mirren in Vivienne Westwood

Hardy a surprise as she is always one of my favorite on the red carpet. She knows just what shapes flatter her body and show off her incredible ageless beauty.


But my very favorite look of the night was...

Cate Blanchett in Givenchy

She looked like a piece of Greek art. She looked incredible. I am absolutely gaga for this dress.

Now, on to the disappointments of the night...

Michelle Williams in Chanel

I love Michelle Williams and I love Chanel but this dress just didn't work for me for the Oscars. Although Michelle's hair and makeup looks incredible, the dress was a little boring and even slightly... matronly? Not a winner.

Another disappointment:

Scarlett Johansson in Dolce & Gabbana

The color was lovely and the dress fit her well, but the confusing array of different textures around her neckline was distracting and ultimately messy looking.

But the biggest disappointment of the night was...

Amy Adams in L'Wren Scott

The dress alone was fine, quite lovely even, but the Cartier necklace that someone styled with it was so wrong as to through off the entire look. Not only did the color of the jewels not make since, but the big necklace lying on top of an already-sparkly and high neckline was just a disaster. Amy's crowded neckline reminded me of one of those women (often librarians) who wear gold chains on the outside of turtlenecks. Crowding a high neckline with a big necklace is just a fashion-101 no no!


But in the end, even with all the breathtaking gowns and the hideous disappointments, what mattered to me most was that The King's Speech beat the pants off The Social Network in every major category, and, since it did, I slept like a baby last night.

Follow Fashion is Evolution

Follow fashionisevo on Twitter

Enter your email address:

2 comments:

  1. J'aime la robe de Sandra Bullock!!!Elle est super!!!
    Angela Donava
    http://www.lookbooks.fr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen Mirren might be my favorite actress. Not only is she brilliant in her craft, but she's absolutely gorgeous and proves women do get better with age.

    ReplyDelete