Bookish and Belle banner (without tabs) Outfits Recipes Crafts Home Wedding

Friday, November 15, 2013

What I wore today: 11/10/2013 (Roaring)

Roaring 20s Outfit: Brown tights, Frye "Melissa" brown lace-up riding boots, green Anthropologie dress, Burgundy wool cloche hat, leopard brocade swing coat

Last Sunday, we had our all-store holiday meeting. The theme was The Great Gatsby, and we were encouraged to dress up as little or as much as we wanted to suit the theme.

I usually jump at the opportunity to create a costume, but my enthusiasm for putting on fishnets and a fringy dress wavers greatly when it gets cold outside. So, instead of a full-blown flapper costume, I decided to put together a fall outfit that incorporated a 1920s silhouette with the general coziness of tights and boots. I think the ties on this dress are meant to be tide tighter to create a waist, but I like wearing it baggier for more casual 1920s-esque silhouette.

Aren't these boots the greatest? Frye made a limited-edition run back in '09, and I eBay stalked them for three years to no avail. Then the same style just showed up, out of the blue, at Urban Outfitters (where I happen to get a 40% discount!) It was a great moment in the life of a shopper.

I hadn't allowed myself to buy any brown-leather knee-high boots even though my faux-leather ones were absolutely falling apart. No, I wanted the Frye ones and I was going to hold out until I found them. I was going to drop several hundred dollars on them, wear them for the rest of my life, replace their soles when needed, and never buy another pair of brown-leather knee-high boots again. That was the plan. The plan took years of discipline, but the payoff was great.

Listen to me, "years of discipline." I make shopping sound like Kill Bill.

Roaring 20s Outfit: Brown tights, Frye "Melissa" brown lace-up riding boots, green Anthropologie dress, Burgundy wool cloche hat, leopard brocade swing coat
Roaring 20s Outfit: Brown tights, Frye "Melissa" brown lace-up riding boots, green Anthropologie dress, Burgundy wool cloche hat, leopard brocade swing coat
Roaring 20s Outfit: Brown tights, Frye "Melissa" brown lace-up riding boots, green Anthropologie dress, Burgundy wool cloche hat, leopard brocade swing coat
Roaring 20s Outfit: Brown tights, Frye "Melissa" brown lace-up riding boots, green Anthropologie dress, Burgundy wool cloche hat, leopard brocade swing coat

Green tie-waiste dress - Maeve, Anthropologie (old)
Brown tights - Pure and Good, Anthropologie
Lace-up Melissa riding boots - Frye, Urban Outfitters
Burgundy wool cloche hat - Urban Outfitters (old)
Leopard brocade swing coat - Forever 21 (old) last seen here

signature color

1 comment:

  1. Those boots are amazing, so well done! Also, dressing for the 1920's is my absolute favorite pastime. Seriously.
    xx Abby | a geek tragedy

    ReplyDelete